Thursday, March 6, 2008

Listening To The Holy Spirit

Have you ever felt the Holy Spirit so strongly trying to tell you to do something? Well, let me share with you an experience I had recently. While praying one night for different people, and then praying in the Spirit as we usually do, when we finished we went right on off to sleep. I was sleeping so soundly when suddenly the phone rang and awoke us. We just said well, if it is important they will leave a message. And they did. We said we will just call them back the next day. We were so tired and sleepy. Well, the Holy Spirit was not going to let me go back to sleep, or let me put it like this, He was not going to let me rest peacefully. I felt this tugging on me and I could literally feel myself straining to keep from lifting up. I said is that you Holy Spirit, do I need to call this person back? And then I would say nah, I'll just call tomorrow. It is late. Then the Holy Spirit says, why do you tell people to call you if they need anything, like prayer? And then, I feel this force lifting me up away from my comfortable position in the bed, and again I feel myself pulling against it and trying to stay laying down in my comfortable position. Finally, it is like the Holy Spirit is just fed up with me, and says, OK you just lay there and ignore me and I will stop bothering you. WOW! You never saw anybody get up so fast. I said Oh No, it is no bother, you are not bothering me, I want to be obedient and do as you say. Please forgive me for my disobedience. And I called this person back, prayed for them, and then went back to bed, prayed some more in the Spirit and prayed some more for this person, rebuked the spirit that has a hold on this person, and slept like a baby. Now you see, I could have disobeyed the Holy Spirit and not listen to Him, and I guarantee you I would not have slept worth a flip. But even more importantly, I would have just moved myself further away from Him and being able to hear Him when He speaks to me. Have you ever talked to someone and told them something over and over again until finally you just get fed up and say forget it they are not listening to me anyway. Well, don't you think that is how the Holy Spirit feels when He is trying to tell you to do something, and you continually try to question whether or not it is Him, when you know that it is. So please, when the Holy Spirit is telling you to do something, just do it. You never know who is needing you to pray with them or intercede for them in prayer.

Romans 8 vs 26-27...Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God....

Heb. 3 vs 7-8...Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says; "Today if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, in the day of trial in the wilderness".....

In other words pay attention, don't be like the people in Moses' day when they kept doubting and questioning over and over again until God finally just says OK, I will just let you wander around in the wilderness for 40 years until you decide you want to listen and believe what I am trying to tell you. Now I know it wasn't said just like that but you get the picture? Don't let the Holy Spirit get fed up with your not listening and obeying Him, until he finally just quits talking to you altogether. Be quick to obey when He tells you to do something. It will always be for your own good or maybe even for the good of a loved one.

Neta

No comments: