Friday, January 11, 2008

Could you commit?

Today, while listening to the LORD, I was thinking about how when Jesus asked the disciples can you not stay awake and pray with me for 1 hour? ( I think He probably said something like, good grief, can you not give me one stinking hour?) But that is just me!
Anyway, after a lot of thinking on this passage, I came to the conclusion, how much time do I actually give to Him, and Him alone? How long do I spend in my prayer time? How long do I spend in His word each day. Now take that and compare it to how long do I watch TV each day? OUCH!
He really stepped on my toes with that one. And then, I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to a commitment, that I immediately tried to rationalize and talk my way out of. The commitment being no TV for the next 21 days. (You may ask, why 21 days, well they say that is how long it takes to create a habit. If you do something for 21 days straight, it could become a habit for you.)
Immediately I was reminded of my movie coming on Sunday night, and I thought well maybe I will start after Sunday. Just as quickly, the Holy Spirit in me said, (can't even give Him 21 days) UGH!
And then I thought well, I have to watch 60 minutes or the nightly news to keep up with the candidates for president so I can be well informed as to how to vote on election day. The Holy Spirit once again says (can you trust me to lead you in who to vote for?) UMph! So I said, well, I'll just watch the 5pm news so I can keep up with the weather. (You guessed it, The Holy Spirit said, (you can't just look out the window?) ALRIGHT! ALRIGHT!
But now, I am scared to commit, because I am afraid of promising the LORD that I will do something, and then faltering. But really, isn't that what we all do, when we ask the LORD into our hearts and tell Him we want to live for Him, but then we are out there living for the world? OUCH again!
For whatever reason the Holy Spirit decided it was my time to become truly committed to living for the Lord today, I can't be sure. All I know is a peace of understanding what He was saying and asking of me came over me so strongly, that it was very exciting instead of frightening to commit to Him for 21 days. I really feel this is going to help me personally to grow in His word and to see the blessings He has for me even more. It is very exciting when you hear His voice and you know He is speaking to you.
As I was listening to our Choir back home singing on a CD, "Draw me Lord" and I'll run unto you" I thought, how many times have we sung that song in church and really meant it? When we sang the words, Draw me Lord, and I'll run unto you, how many of us are running unto Him, or are we running for the nearest Mexican Rest. when we get out of church? Hey don't get mad at me! I am just repeating what the Spirit was saying to me personally, I have no idea if He was talking about you!
Matthew 26 vs 40...then He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "What! Could you not watch with Me for one hour? Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
How sad is that? They were right there with Jesus and they could not stay awake for one hour and pray with Him to the Father. He was getting ready to go through something devastating, like giving His life for us all. How many times today do we do the same thing, when someone asks us to pray for them, when they are getting ready to have surgery or some other major event is going on or getting ready to happen in their lives? How many times do we just say a quick prayer and say yes I prayed for you. The next time someone asks you to pray for them, give them an hour of your prayer time to the Father on their behalf. I know you say, I do not have enough time in the day to pray for everyone that asks me to pray for them. No, maybe not, but you could take one hour to pray for all those different people and their causes can't you? Every time I sleep in late, when I know I could be up studying His word or praying during this quiet time of the day, I am reminded of that scripture. And then again today, when I got ready to turn on the TV, BOOM! it hit me again. (Can't you just leave that thing off for a little while?) Today I made a choice to stand up with the LORD, and not sleep in late, or watch TV, but to truly give Him my free time instead of choosing my favorite TV shows. It has been a great day spending it with Him, I can truly say that I have been blessed today.
This may not be something you are able to do, but I encourage you to give it a try. Let us all, see what happens if we turn off the TV for 21 days. The writers went on strike, why can't we, when we have an even better cause?
Pray for me as I will be praying for each of you


Neta

No comments: