Tuesday, October 5, 2010

We Need Only The Word

Do you need more than the word to get you through your trials, do you need physical evidence, or can you believe only the word and trust God to get you through?

We are all Thomas's at some time or other in our lives. Thomas said he could not believe unless he saw the holes in Jesus' body.

John 20 v 24-25....Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord." So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.".....

WOW! He did not only want to see the holes, but he had to put his hands into the holes as well. But what happened when Jesus appeared to him?

John 20 v 26-29....And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!" Then He said to Thomas, 'Reach your finger here, and look at My hands, and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.' And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God." Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.".........

Now let's look at faith without seeing.

Matthew 8 v 5-13....Now when Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, pleading with Him, saying 'Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented." And Jesus said to him, "I will come and heal him." The centurion answered and said, "Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed. For I also am a man under authority having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, Go, and he goes, and to another Come, and he comes and to my servant, Do this, and he does it. When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed. "Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!. And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Issac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be gnashing of teeth." Then Jesus said to the centurion, "Go your way; and as you have believed, so let it be done for you." And his servant was healed that same hour......

Interesting here is the point that this man was not even a Jew, he was not your church going guy who has been in church all of his life. No this was a man who recognized Jesus for Who He is. He recognized the authority Jesus had. He was able to believe without the physical proof of evidence. This was a man of authority himself, maybe this is why he recognized the authority Jesus has.

Here is the point, there are well meaning Christians going to church everytime the doors open, and singing and amening, but when it comes to taking HIS WORD as the final authority over a situation, they still have to have proof. The scripture above says Jesus marveled at what he heard from the centurion. He said not even His followers had such faith, in todays words, He said not even those I see in church every week have such faith.

The centurion had it right, he said, only speak the word and my servant will be healed.

Where are you in your belief? Do you need to put your hands in the scars, or can you take Jesus at His word?

Remember the words of Jesus, Blessed are those who have not seen, yet have believed. AMEN!

STAY IN THE WORD!

No comments: