Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hot/Sour Soup or Sweet/Sour Pork

How many of us make a sweet sound unto the Lord? I mean can you honestly say that everything you said today was a sweet sound unto the Lord's ears? I know that I fall short here alot! I think I am making sweet sounds, but sometimes, they are bittersweet. You know like when you go to eat chineese food and you have some sweet & sour pork, or hot/sour soup. You have two different tastes going on at the same time in your mouth. Well, sometimes I think when we say things we have two different things going on in our minds, and yet we are trying to make a sweet sound, but there is an underlying bitterness there. Surely, I am not the only one here that has experienced this!
I talk on this subject often, because it is a subject that I have to deal with. Maybe that is why we are taught as kids, "Don't say anything at all, if you can't say something nice." You see even then you are being taught don't lie. When we say something we do not really mean, then we are in fact telling a lie, which would be that bittersweet taste I am talking about.

God tells us in His word, sort of the same thing. He says do not say anything that does not bring grace to the hearer. In other words be nice! And then back to mom's old saying, Don't say anything at all if you can't say something nice. So before we speak next, stop and think, am I serving hot/sour soup today?

Ephes. 4 v 29-32...Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tender hearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you......

Lord, I pray for each one of us today, that we will take this scripture and store it in our hearts so when things of this world come against us, we will not act out of our flesh but search our heart first for how your word tells us to behave. Amen.
Neta

No comments: